Description

Random thoughts on our impending doom and everyday life, courtesy of a Romance Writer who occasionally feels the need to talk like a Sailor.

Sunday 24 February 2013

Weekend Writing Warriors... The Colonist's Wife.



Welcome to another Weekend Writing Warriors. I know I kick started you off with my currently in progress Rockstar MS last week, but you don't mind if we story jump for a bit, do you? Today’s eight sentences are from my first ever Ellora’s Cave release, The Colonist’s Wife. A short novel due out the 15th of March, so not long now. I'm starting to get excited about it, hence the story jump. Don't worry, we'll get back to that poor girl lying on the bathroom floor in Vegas, I promise.

The Colonist's Wife takes place in the year 2088 in a mining colony on the moon Esther, circling Jupiter. It’s my witness protection/mail-order bride/erotic romance set in outer space. Hope you like it.




     Wives went last.
     The ship shuddered and groaned again beneath her feet like some big metal beast shaking itself off. Louise stood to the side of the cargo bay doors and let all the important company people disembark first down the gangway. No one even gave her a second look. People strode alongside the small transports that rolled out, raising plumes of gray dust when they hit the surface. The whole thing unfolded with military precision until finally only she remained.
     It was time to meet her husband.
     She could do this.




14 comments:

  1. Nice Kylie,

    and you're getting some books out there now, busy girl! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the starkness of your writing in this snippet. It seems to suit the theme of the story you've created. Excellent job and good luck with your upcoming release.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the setup! Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great set up. I can't wait until she meets this husband of hers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really an intriguing beginning (did we have snippets of this on the old Six Sentence Sunday from time to time? Which I only ask because I loved this story and missed hearing more from it...). Excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is GOOD! Love the first line and the whole premise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the upcoming release, Kylie!

    I can feel her trepidation in this. Great eight!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrat on the upcoming release. I've always liked mail order bride things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Great hook. I don't really like erotic romance unless it's with two males, lol, but an erotic, sci-fi romance, I definitely wanna read! I love the storyline already. Mail-order brides? Awesome! And the fact that they are treated with zero respect. I wanna see how she'll overcome such sexism.

    ReplyDelete
  10. She's clearly a long way from home. Great set up, and you definitely showed the trepidation she is feeling. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the setup. I love the concept and crossing of genres. It combines most of the genres I love. Looking forward to see what's in store for her.

    ReplyDelete